Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Take the Red Pill *

I'm in the mood for red this week -- red clothes, red jewelry, red leaves, red cocktails, anything and everything red!

Here's a photo I took yesterday of the red Virginia Creeper on our fence.

Creeper

The leaf color in North Florida is at the peak this week. Mostly red and orange since the yellow leaves have already turned or dropped. We do have a change of seasons here and the first week of December is always the most colorful. Check out some more great local color pictures here by my Flickr pal, Photo707.

I have created a cocktail masterpiece that is totally delish! Try pouring an ice cold glass of Verdi's Raspberry Sparkletini and then adding a splash of Absolut Citron vodka. The lemon flavored vodka not only adds a hint of lemon but gives the spumonti a kick. You don't need a full shot, just a nice splash. No need to stir.

sparktini cocktail

I bought two huge baskets of fresh strawberries at the outdoor market on Sunday so I used some to garnish our cocktails. I would prefer red raspberries but strawberries are plentiful and cheap and they sure do taste good soaked in sparkling wine and vodka.

sparktini closer

More cocktail libation pictures here.

I bought far too much fruit this weekend. Tangerines, lemons, pineapple, oranges, apples and strawberries surely do make the kitchen fragrant. Theola also sent home some more porch fruit with W4D, this time grapefruit. I guess they ate near 'bout every kind of citrus on that porch.

The only kind of fruit I don't have is what I am craving. I'd love a ruby red pomegranate. Those sweet and tart little morsels are wonderful on a salad. Until then, I guess I will have to use up all these strawberries.


* From the Matrix, 1999:
"You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

No comments: