Saturday, June 18, 2005

Sleepless Punkhead

I couldn't sleep Thursday night. Went to bed at 12:20. Awoke at 1:00, 2:00 and 3:00 AM. Each time I was awake about 10 minutes but fell back asleep. At 4:00, I couldn't go back to sleep. At all. No matter how hard I tried to pretend I was floating on a lake or riding on a train or snuggling into a marshmallow cloud or counting sheep or mentally listing all the best meals I have ever had or trying to decide my favorite camping spot or the most perfect scenic spot I have ever, well, seen, or listing all the flowers I could name for each letter of the alphabet or multiplying random numbers in my head by seven or ... you get the idea. I couldn't clear my mind to sleep, nor could I bore myself into falling asleep. Instead, I tossed and turned and alternately tried deep breathing and commanding various parts of my bod to fall asleep and nothing, I tell you NOTHING worked.

I should have taken a sleeping pill before bed but I had been getting six hours of sleep a night for several days. This is a long night's sleep for me. Five hours is my average, six hours, even with waking up 3 or 4 times is a really good night's sleep. Three hours of interrupted sleep does NOT suffice. I was tired. At least, I would sleep well Friday night.

I gave up at 6:00 AM and got up for good. I debated whether I should wash my hair since I had a hair appointment at 9:00. How dumb is that? I really wanted to wash my head but it did seem stupid to have it washed twice within 3 hours.

I was so scruffy, had to get a haircut. I made an appointment with a new, local hairdresser since my regular guy moved and the salon where he used to work canceled my next appointment, with the owner no less, with no advance notice and no voiced reason. That ticked me off so I decided not to go back. Hey, it's only hair. How bad could it be to try someone new?

It is so hot and humid this year now that summer has set in after our unusually long, mild spring, that I requested something short and perky. My new hairdresser was happy to oblige. I left the salon looking like Brigitte Nielson, my hair teased up tall and straight up top, sides slicked back. It wasn't spiked on top, thank Gawd! but all and totally erect, standing on end. I looked like a middle aged woman trying to go punk. I am a big hair, messy, softly wavy sort of gal and I rarely if ever use hairspray. My hair was so stiff it could have withstood a gale force wind. Came home and tried to brush it all out, softened it up a bit, eased down the hair standing at attention, swooshed it to the side and it wasn't so bad after all. It's Saturday morning and I have washed all of the product out of my hair and am somewhat back to normal.

Been prepping and pre-cooking foods for our Father's Day cookout tomorrow. It's DH's day and he got to pick whatever he wanted to eat. Redskin and dill potato salad is done, beans are baked, corn is shucked and ready to boil, two huge slabs of ribs are rubbed and chillin' with secret spices and ready to go. Bread is sliced, buttered, garlicked, herbed and in foil packets, BBQ sauce is made, ice tea is chilling, beer, wine and sodas in the coolers on ice. Kaitlin is baking and bringing a cake. Everything is done (!!) so tomorrow, all we will need to do is cook the ribs. I hope it doesn't rain.

Father's Day Car


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT?!?!?! No new hairdo photo?!?! Fresh from the salon?!?!?! Spiky?!?!?! Flaurella, how COULD you do that to us, your oh-so-loyal readers!
annie p

Flaurella said...

No, it wasn't spikey. Much more like a 3 inch flat top, standing straight up, like freshly mown lawn, except it is the color of cornsilk since I quit coloring my hair. Besides, there was no one here to take a pic and I was laughing so hard, I could not possibly have held the camera steady. Plus, it was like freakin' MORNING and I don't feel creative enough to take a pic until mid-afternoon, and by then, Brigitte had been transforned into Flaurella once again and was out running the roads with W4D.
Maybe next time.