Saturday, June 11, 2005

Hermaphrodite Crabs

Saturday late afternoon, we got home just in time to watch the Belmont. DH and I love horse racing. He made us a couple of nice vodka martinis and I made us cute plates of sushi, wasabi and hot ginger. No, I did not make it from scratch, I picked it up at the sushi bar in Publix but I did arrange it on hors d'oeurves plates and present it with a flourish.

We were glad to see Afleet Alex, a Florida-bred win. We live smack in the middle of horse country and we always cheer for our Florida-bred or locally trained ponies. I missed seeing/hearing them sing, "New York, New York." That's okay for it is not nearly as emotional as "My Old Kentucky Home." Nothing compares to the Kentucky Derby. The Preakness is okay, the Belmont is so-so, but the Kentucky Derby reins supreme when it comes to horse racing.

So before our GATORS come on in the NCAA World Series Playoff, (and I don't yet dare talk about how excited we are about that since it might jinx it!), DH goes to read my blog. He reads softly out loud which really irriates me but I know he's doing it so that I will know he is taking time to read my blog.

"Herma.... Hermitta..... Hermit..."

I called from the other room, "Hermaphroditic."

DH tentatively pronounced it correctly,
"Her-maff-fro-DID-ic."

"Good," said I. "Do you know what it means?"

"Nope" said DH.

"Okay, think hermaphodite. You know what hermaphrodite means."

"Oh, yeah, That's one of those cute little crabs with the shell on his back, right?"

hermit crab
Originally uploaded by flaurella.


After I picked myself up off the floor and caught my breath from laughing so hard, I explained what an hermaphrodite is. DH looked doubtful of the whole story and informed me, "My brain is full. I don't think it can hold anymore but I always thought hermit crabs were cute"

Check out these beautiful undersea pictures where I found the hermit crab pic!

It's the bottom of the first inning and my GATORS are looking mighty fine. Can'[t jinx it but anytime UF plays FSU, it is a major rivalry. We would so love our GATORS to make it to the final 8 of the World Series. Miami already lost, taken out by Nebraska earlier this afternoon. By this evening, only one Florida team will be left and I sure hope it is us. This state likes college baseball. All three of our major state universities were in the top 16 in the country and our AA teams were right in there, too. If we win tonight, I am going to teach DH a new word or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If all goes by yours and my best scenarios, my Huskers will meet your Gators in the first winners' game of what the NCAA calls Bracket 1. Good luck, but you're going down!

TaxManNY