Wednesday, May 04, 2005

In Memorium

Back from our trip and trying to get caught up with work and life in general. I bought scads of vintage jewels from shops, markets and auctions in four states. It will take me months to get them all added to Eclectica. More about the trip tomorrow but today is a memorial day to me.

On May 4 1970, 28 Ohio National Guardsmen shot into an anti-war gathering of American students at Kent State University. The college students had been protesting Viet Nam and the bombing in Cambodia. When they would not disperse, the over-zealous Guardsmen shot into the crowd killing four and wounding nine others.

Even after all these years, it still makes me very sad to think of this day in history. It was shocking and the whole nation was upset and grieved the deaths.

John Filo's photograph from that day

is still indelibly etched in my mind as well as most others of my generation. It was a sad time in the history of this country so I honor the memory of four slain students today and always.

Their names were:
ALISON KRAUSE, JEFFREY MILLER,

SANDRA SCHEUER and WILLIAM SCHROEDER.

If you don't know what happened 35 years ago, Google "Kent State 1970" and learn more.

Back to my usual silliness tomorrow. It's good to be home.

No comments: