Sunday, May 08, 2005

Hair of the Dog, Yo Mama

Hope everyone is having a nice Mother's Day. I am enjoying the day even though I have the Julep hangover from hayell. We attended a delightful Derby Party at the home of the Nottingham's. I have no idea how many juleps we guests imbibed but I am sure their liquor pantry looks like a plague of locusts ran through it We ate and laughed and drank far too much. Everyone had a grand time! Two of our friends had bet Giacomo to win. We didn't but I won the Party Derby Pool having drawn Giacomo by luck so that eased the pain of no winning race tickets. I am pretty sure others may be feeling the wrath of Knob Creek today but at least we all have really lovely, minty breath.

Kaitlin was here earlier and we had a delightful Mother's Day brunch prepared by DH: Belgian waffles with fresh raspberries and blackberries, crispy bacon, scrambled eggs and apricot canoli. Kait made the canoli. There is something sinful about eating all of that for breakfast but I enjoyed every bite.

My mother passed away in her sleep almost 5 years ago. She was always telling me that she was going to die (I mean like every day!) and I never believed her. The day she surpassed her mother's age at death, she was even more certain that sure she wouldn't be here for long. Actually, she lived quite a time longer than did my grandmother but Mother managed to leave this world the week she always said she would, the week of Independence Day, just like her mother did. There's not a day that goes by that I don't wish that I could call her and ask her something or have her come over for a visit.
I miss my Mother.

.

DH's mother lost her battle with ovarian cancer 17 years ago. She was my best friend and I loved her like my own mother. I wish Kait had been able to know her longer. She was such a special person.
I miss my mother-in-law, too.



DH (What's 4 Dinner) is fixing me a Mother's Day Feast of Snow Crabs, Key West Pink Boiled Shrimp, Corn on the Cob, Mixed Green Salad and Corona's With Lime. I do believe a little hair of the dog will be exactly what I need. Not sure what's up with the Corona Beer for I would really rather have white wine but I am not about to question the motives of the Chef.

I hope you were able to hug your mom today. If you have children, give them lots of hugs and enjoy the day. I can smell the limes being sliced so I am outta here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen that picture of grandmom Anne in so long. I alwys loved he hair. Its funny even now some 17 years after she died. I canstill remember her smile and I still remember the way she smelled.

Nanna always said the onl;y good thing about the fourth of july was my that it was my birthday. One time she told me that was how she new I was meant to me your little girl. She said it was fate.