Friday, May 27, 2005

Memorial Day

It's Memorial Day weekend, a time to remember all of those who gave their lives so that we might be free, a time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the cause of democracy, in war and in peace.

Memorial day has been celebrated since the end of the Civil War but Americans seem to have forgotten that it is a holiday to honor our soldiers rather than the beginning of summer, an extra day off from work, a time for cook-outs, parties and sales at the mall.

This weekend, DH and I will go over to the cemetery and place a small American flag on the grave of my father-in-law. He enlisted in the Navy in 1942 and was a Navigator on a B-27 during the war to end all wars. He was wounded and shot down over Guadalcanal.



Originally uploaded by flaurella.

My father-in-law liked the military, serving his country, and stayed in the Navy after the end of WW2, going on to serve as a Flight Line Chief. He retired after serving 20 years in the Navy and missed his service so much that he re-enlisted in the Air Force for six more years. He served in the South Pacific during WW2, and the Korean "Conflict," and was also stationed in Italy, Maryland, Key West, Pensacola, San Diego - and probably a few other places over the 26 years he served but my memory is failing.

Big Frank was a patriot and a gentleman and I thank him and all the others who have served our country.

Navy Buddies
Originally uploaded by flaurella.

I can't remember the names of these two fellas flanking my father-in-law. They were buddies that he went off to war with in 1942 and I wish I could remember their names to print them here. They were heroes and I salute them as we honor all who have served our country this Memorial Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoo! W4D's old man was a hottie! Yes, indeedy do! Too bad it didn't filter down...oopsie! OK, I couldn't resist. Neener, neener, neener.

Anyway, I appreciate y'alls support for our often-disregarded military.