Friday, January 13, 2006

Cocktail Week Draws to a Close

It's Friday and that means Flaurella Cocktail Week is almost over and the serious drinking can begin. Hardy har! I swear we are not old rummies, alkies or drunks. Yes, we have an extensive bar at home. We owned a restaurant and bar years ago and old habits die hard. But nowadays, W4D works for the State and I am self-employed and we live a quiet, mild-mannered life. (ahem) Besides, there's not much else to do out here in the country but eat and drink. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

This afternoon, the cocktail and nibble du jour has been selected because I can smell spring on the air. I truly can, even though it will not last and there are dark clouds, high winds and possible tornado warnings in the immediate future with a downright cold weekend to follow. But now, the ground is warm and smells earthy and there are green things and my antique roses are blooming their heads off. I love Florida in January and February.

In honor of the balmy breezes of the last few days, I have made a large shaker of Absolute Citron Lemon Drops. I used lemon juice and sour oranges with the citrus flavored vodka and the result is tart and teasing. When the drink slides over the sugared rim, it is just like slurping an old fashioned lemon drop candy.... a little pucker and a hint of sweetness. Perfection!

Due to some mean old black clouds rolling in from the NW, I have fired up the gas grill and am cooking our Friday cocktail nibbles early.

Shrimp on the Barbie
Shrimp on the Barbie.

I buy these 21-31 count large shrimp already prepared and on the wooden skewers at Publix for a buck a stick. Then, all I need to do is decide what marinade to use or what to brush on the shrimp. Very easy, very inexpensive.

Tonight, I am making Buffalo Shrimp. I use a TBSP of sweet butter, a TBSP of Tabasco (I prefer Tabasco but any hot sauce you like will be fine) and a little splash of olive oil. Melt the basting sauce in the nuker covered for 10 seconds or so and then baste the shrimp repeatedly as they cook, turning every 2 minutes until done. 6 minutes ought to do it! If you use as much Tabasco as I recommend, the shrimp will bite you back and the cocktails with soothe your palate and all will be right with the world.

1 comment:

Jerome said...

Thanks for this post, pretty effective piece of writing.
online mmo games | free things to do | honda dealership